So, as you may know, the last shuttle to go into space went yesterday morning at 10:26 CST. I thought the kids should see it, since I remember a lot of shuttles lifting off from my life. (I also remember getting out of school early because of the Challenger explosion and where I was when the other one burned up on re-entry. Since I know you want to know - I was in bed, 7 months pregnant with Bebe and watching something on TV when they interrupted the show to show the re-entry. We figured out very quickly that something went wrong.)




We found CNN carrying the launch live with Anderson Cooper narrating what was going on and they showed a montauge of all of the lift-offs. Mamu was not so thrilled until we started counting down from 10.
Bebe went and got the toy space ship we have circa early 1990's (found at a garage sale several years ago) and had it stand like Atlantis. The spacepeople (we have a man and woman astronaut - yes, very equal opportunity here - you know the girl is a girl because she has eyelashes) and their space car/rover/thing is MIA, so Mamu substituted Buzz Lightyear and 2 Woody toys. I guess that works too.
And the countdown almost caught us by surprise because they had to stop the clock at 31 seconds for a bit to check something out. But then we heard the NASA guy say "10!" and we counted down together. Bebe had our space shuttle lift off as well and now has it sitting on top of the entertainment center. She thinks it should stay there until we watch the re-entry. I don't mind it, and Mamu hasn't said anything about it (and I don't know if Jason's noticed it yet), so it probably will stay until they return.
No comments:
Post a Comment