So, we're a pretty typical family. We've got 2 kids (one of each) and we do a lot of things together, like going to the grocery store, the park, etc.
Well, sometimes we like to entertain the people that are around us in the grocery store, park, mall, dr.'s office, etc.
We don't plan it (there's no strategy session at home where I give assignments like "Bebe, you make sure to stick your hands in your pants to scratch your backside." or "Mamu, make sure you yell 'Squishy! Squishy!' while patting my chest.") -- it just happens.
So, here are some funny things we did to entertain people at Kroger this past visit:
Kroger has these little carts that are just for kids. They're like regular carts, only shrunk down to kid level. They're really cute. Both of my kids LOVE them and it is a sad day when there are none to be had. Well, luckily both kids got one to drive around the store. So here I look like a Momma duck with two little cart ducklings behind me. (BTW-We have figured out how to 'hook' one of the little carts to the big cart... we spend way too much time at Kroger.) So, Mamu, being 2, sometimes is ummm... 'unable'? to steer his cart in an orderly fashion. Which leads to the little cart either being:
A) hooked onto the big cart (which Mamu now knows how to unhook it from the cart)
or
B) one of us helping him push it (which usually happens).
Well, it was my turn to 'help' Mamu with his little cart. In order to help him with his cart, you have to lean over and place your hand on his little hands (which he likes) and help him drive. Yes. Lean... which means your (not so cute) little (ok, not so little) heiny is stuck up in the air and you're walking with your legs spread out like a crazy person, because that's just how you walk when you're hunched over a 2 ft tall grocery cart.
Guess how many people we see in the store that we know? Yup. Lots.
Guess how many parents / former parents in that I know and have taught their child? 3
Guess how embarrassed I am? Not so much really. I just brush it off as part of being a 2 year old's mom. A 2 year old BOY's mom.
Also, if you don't know, it's a very boring time at the Kroger for a 2 year old child when they are not using a little cart and are stuck in the big cart. It's even worse when your mom won't let you crawl out and scream like a banshee. So, being the ever creative mom, I make up songs for him. Such hits include:
"Where is the milk?" sung to "If You're Happy and You Know It"
"Can You Find the Cheese?" sung to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" from the Lion King
and my most favorite:
"Where is ____?" (Whatever you are looking for at that moment) sung to "Where is Thumbkin?"
These work for exactly 5.8 seconds until you hit shuffle on your brain and come up with the next song. At which the lovely lady (who is not in her hoodie and yoga pants with her flat hair) pushing the cart past you just smiles and politely calls "the come and get 'em crazy people" and says "Please come take this crazy lady away." SHE obviously doesn't have small children.
"Yes. That crazy lady is my mom. I still give her kisses."Another place we entertained people this past weekend was at the mall.
Bebe had a "Stuff for Stuff" coupon from Build a Bear workshop because we spend money there all.the.time. Well, not all the time, but it sure feels like it. So, she got to pick out something that was $10 or less. She found a little Bear MP3 player that plays little songs for you and your build a bear (or bunny, or anything else you've stuffed there). It even has cute little (nonworking) ear buds for your bear to wear. So the music comes out a little speaker so you too! can enjoy the music with your bear. So, she was super excited about this and at some point held it up to her ear like a 1988 jam box and beebopped her little bottom, hips, and did some sort of jive (thanks to those dance lessons I've been paying for -- for 5 years) as we're leaving the food court. Then she puts it up to my ear and has me dance along as well. I don't have near the moves that she does, but I did my best. I'm sure there were many tweens that were mortified by me (btw, I was pushing the sit 'n stand stroller with Mamu in the front), but I didn't care. I'm just glad Beebs wants me to be with her in the mall.
"Yes. I got my mom to make a fool out of herself. I know. I'm good."
So there you've got it.
Free entertainment.
You just have to find us.
(We're probably at Kroger.)
No comments:
Post a Comment