Picture it:
A hot, albeit breezy, morning in a Texas suburban neighborhood.
A young (ahem. hush now) mother pushing a sit and stand stroller.
In the stroller, a 2 year old Mamu sits with his hat and sunglasses sipping out of his Lightning McQueen water cup holding a stuffed Curious George. NO Ooh Ooh has not been replaced, George was just the last thing Mamu saw before he walked out the door.
A book filled bag sits perched on the back part of the sit and stand, with a bright blue beach bag shoved in the basket underneath.
A 7 year old Bebe walks, wearing her 'bug eye' glasses and pink hat. She has a pink whistle around her neck. (This is a vital part to the plot - the whistle. Not the bug eye glasses.)
This is the beginning of the Stroller Adventure Part Deux.
Ok, now that I've set the scene for you, let's get this story started.
We decided that we would go to the library on our regular day. Having our van still at the auto spa and having successfully completed Stroller Adventure Part 1 we decided we could walk it! The library is almost across the street from the pool (a smidgent farther, but not a huge distance) and we decided that we could stop by the pool on the way home. Ok. I'll be completely honest here. I was hoping that after walking all that way AND going to the pool, that I would get some long naps out of them (at least Mamu). {I'll spoil the ending. We just got a normal nap out - which I'm not complaining about.}
So we set out. It was pretty breezy and we made it to the scary intersection. Bebe got on the stroller's standing part (let me tell you what. That stroller was heavy. We had a lot of books to take back, plus the swim stuff, plus a 27 lb boy, plus a 40 lb girl, plus a Curious George stuffed animal (you know that's what made it so heavy). But, I looked at it as a great workout.
We got to the intersection. We waited (remember that there is no crosswalk button here). This light is one of those that has to have a car waiting for it before it will turn green. There was a lot of oncoming traffic. We waited through 5 light cycles and finally Elizabeth sees a car coming up on our side. She starts blowing that whistle like nobody's business.
[You see, she is the self-designated 'police girl'. She (does this every time we walk somewhere - park, school, secret park, and now the library) blows her whistle at any intersection, alleyway, and street to warn me if cars are coming.]
Well, we must have scared them off or something. I don't know why. I mean a panting, sweaty woman, a bug eyed pink hatted girl blowing her whistle as loud as can be, and a Curious George peeking out of the shade cover doesn't say welcoming, then well, I don't know what does! :)
Actually, they thought they could skip the light and then soon discovered that street was a dead end. So they had to come back to the crazy bunch. You could see them locking their doors, telling their children to avert their eyes, and debating on whether or not to run the light and risk the ticket or wreck.
Well, luckily they were there long enough to trip the sensor, so our mad dash across the intersection commenced. We made it and got to the library.
I'm pretty sure that I was again, quite smelly, and quite a sight to behold. I'm pretty sure the reason the kids' section cleared out when we got there was me. If the library had undercover security, I'm sure they would be following me. I didn't really care - I didn't make eye contact and tried to stay away from people so they wouldn't be overwhelmed. We got our books and headed to the pool.
Made it to the pool, changed, and got into the pool. Boy did it feel good! Mamu and Bebe had a great time splashing around and swimming. I just enjoyed the cool water.
It was time to go sadly. We changed back into our sweaty clothes (fun!) and headed back. I had a stroke of genuis before I left and packed a couple of granola bars for the kids. They ate those on the way home. The breeze left and it was a pretty sweaty walk home. We made it, only looking slightly more crazy than before (only one whistle blowing occurence this time) and made it to the house. I made the kids' a quick lunch, got Mamu down for a nap, and Bebe set up with a new library book, and hit the shower.
Jason texted me to let me know that Bessie had completed her spa trip and that he would be by to pick us up to go pick her up as soon as he got off of work. So, we're riding in Jason's car (it's named Tyler because I got to name it since I used to drive it all the time and it's named after the lead singer of Aerosmith - Steven Tyler) and Bebe has brought her baby doll, Megy, along for the ride. Now, you can't travel with a baby without a diaper bag, so of course, Megy has one. With reusable diapers, food, a paci, and toys. Megy's got it pretty sweet. Anyways, Megy apparently had a dirty diaper and Bebe said "PU Megy! Oh my goodness!" So, Jason rolled down the windows to play along. Well, just as she was rolling hers back up, we drove through some skunk smell. We ALL said "PU Megy!" and just busted out laughing. We asked Bebe to quickly take care of Megy's diaper. :) We got Bessie back and went out to dinner.
So, what have we learned class? Well, we've learned that A) I'm apparently the best mom ever because I (and I quote straight from Bebe) 'problem solved' a way for us to get to the pool and the library. B) I'm pretty crazy looking when we "go green" and C) Megy has got to get a clean diaper!
Now, we'll probably continue walking to the pool every now and again, and possibly the library. It's just nice to have a choice of using the van or the stroller.
Now, here's a visual of Bebe in her bug eyes - I took this in February (obviously not this summer). Just to give you some reference.
No comments:
Post a Comment